Post from Mark Driscoll (Pastor of Mars Hill in Seattle)
"With the fifth and arguably best season of the hit television show 24 now concluded, Jack Bauer can take a much needed shower, get something to eat, and power up his cell phone battery which magically lasts forever. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I would like to offer the suggestion that perhaps 24 is incredibly popular because Jack Bauer is a lot like Jesus, as the following correlations indicate:
- Jack and Jesus are both dudes who worked in construction.
- Jack and Jesus have disciples and Jack’s disciples have names like Chloe, Michelle, Bill, and Tony.
- Jack and Jesus do not lie and can be trusted to accomplish whatever they promise.
- Jack and Jesus both oppose evil and seek to bring forth a glorious shalom world, free of tyranny and evildoers.
- Jack and Jesus were both betrayed by a close friend who ended up dying as a result of his sin.
- Jack and Jesus are both saviors willing to lay down their life for those they love.
- Jack and Jesus were both resurrected from death; Jack was essentially put to death to fool the Chinese government and then resuscitated. "
This year Betsy joined me on the bandwagon of "24". I was hooked after watching Season 4 last year, and now Betsy and I are offically Jack supporters. With Season 5 over, we have been going through withdrawal of our "Jack Bauer Power Hour." So we did what anyone would do...joined Netflixs and now have finished half of Season 1. AWESOME STUFF.